Sunday, October 14, 2012

Results of the Poll

Thank you to everyone who participated in my first reader poll: "How do you keep track of your schedule?"

Although certainly not scientific --21 votes received -- I actually find the results very interesting!
  • Google Calendar was the winner with 52% of the vote.
  • Tied for second were iPhone and pen and paper, each with 38% of the vote.
  • That was followed by Outlook with 9% of the vote.
  • I'm pleased to report that no one chose "I don't keep track of my schedule" as an answer. Hooray for being organized!
Multiple answers were allowed, so I'm betting that some voters access Google Calendar on an iPhone or use an electronic device with pen and paper as a backup.

After experimenting with a few things over the past several weeks, I have decided on Outlook as my device of choice. (Screenshot of this week below)


We use it at Curtis, which this year has a more complicated schedule than I do freelancing. I put my gigs on there, then my co-workers will know where I am if I have a gig on a workday or they can see that I'm unavailable to help at events on certain nights and weekends. I spend a lot of time looking at the calendar to keep track of grant deadlines and meetings, so I probably do retain at least some of the information. (I hope!)

I also use my work computer at home, so I'm able to access the calendar almost anytime. The one exception I've found so far is when I'm out with people and discussing social engagements. Since I don't have my Outlook calendar at my fingertips on a mobile device, I have to wait until I'm at the computer to check it before committing 100%. But that seems like a small detail and overall I think this will be the best option for now.

At least until I get that smartphone!

No comments:

Post a Comment